What is rheumatoid arthritis? Symptoms and treatments.
Rheumatic arthritis is an autoimmune disease affecting the joint tissues. In autoimmune disease, the immune system that protects the body from external invaders mistakenly attacks the tissue and healthy cells.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis:
Rheumatoid arthritis doctor in Pune sayspatients can experience some of these early symptoms and ask for certain blood tests and, X-rays to diagnose and rule out other diseases with similar symptoms.
- Joint related issues: Joint pains, inflammation, redness, Joint warmness, joint stiffness, and joint deformity.
- Weight issues:Unexplained weight loss, weakness, fatigue, and being unwell can be early signs.
- Locomotors issue: Difficulty in movement, walking, limping associated with pain in feet and, or joints, and wobbling while walking are signs to watch out for.
- Fever: joint inflammation can cause fever.
The main aim ofrheumatoid arthritis treatment is to:
- Cease joint inflammation
- Relieve the patients from RA symptoms
- Protect the joints from deformation and permanent damage
- Avoid and prevent long term complications and improve joint health and overall well-being
There are more than one ways of Rheumatoid arthritis treatment and involves a well-crafted strategy.
Painkillers: Painkillers cease pain but arenot the only treatment. Painkillers have different combinations and strength and to be taken with caution.
Occupational therapy: Occupational therapy helps an RA to live an independent life. It gives flexibility and allows one to do more things otherwise.
Symptom easing drugs: NSAID-non-steroidal inflammatory drugs helps in reducing pain and inflammation. The medication can be taken orally and used for external application on the affected area.
Disease activity slowdown drugs: Corticosteroids are at times used in Rheumatoid arthritis treatment. They are quick anti-inflammatory drugs and helps in reducing the inflammation faster. Due to its harsh side effects,doctors prescribe them in less dosage and for a shorter duration.
Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug: It is commonly known as DMARD and is used to prevent permanent joint damage and the overplayed immune system. It works best when started within 4-6 months of diagnosis.
Surgery: If the above treatments fail, then a doctor might recommend surgery in Rheumatoid arthritis treatment. It is recommended to reduce pain, repair joints, or correct deformities.
- Adequate rest: A person with an RA flare-up should take adequate rest to avoid exertion of the joint tissues.
- Exercise: Regular exercise and elevating general health at the onset of RA will help mobility and strengthen the joint muscles.
- Heat and cold packs: Applying hot packs or a hot shower helps. Cold packs relieve pain and spasm. A combination of both repeatedly one after the other can be tried as well.
- De-stress: Meditation, breathing exercise, various healing therapies, and muscle relaxation help in reducing stress and RA symptoms.
- Other treatments:Chiropractor, Acupressure, water therapy, electrotherapy, and massage can be beneficial.
There are medical and other alternative methods in Rheumatoid arthritis treatment. Before you choose non-medical treatments, it is good to seek a doctor’s advice. Though not entirely curable but it can be arrested with early diagnosis and treatment.